Director, Governance and Legal Services
Date of Next Review
1.2.7 Meeting frequency
1.2.8 Reporting and communication
Appeals Committee responds to formal appeals made by students on a range of academic and administrative decisions. Within the University, the decision of Appeals Committee is final.
Appeals Committee is a governance committee accountable to University Academic Board.
Appeals Committee undertakes the following:
Admission to a course
- considers appeals against refusal of admission to a course
- considers appeals against refusal of readmission following exclusion.
Academic progress and exclusion from studies
- reviews decisions to exclude from a course due to unsatisfactory academic progress or failure to complete an award within time limits (E/4.4), made by the faculty academic board (E/6.7.3)
- considers appeals by higher degree research students against termination of candidature or exclusion from enrolment
- considers appeals by students where mandatory leave, suspension or other conditions have been imposed under the fitness to study policy (E/3.2)
- considers appeals by students against a preparedness for professional experience decision made by an Executive Dean (E/3.3)
- considers appeals arising from the imposition of penalties for all categories of major student misconduct, on grounds set out in the University’s policy on management of student misconduct (E/8.1).
- considers student appeals arising from scholarship matters.
- identifies issues concerning policies, procedures, practices or systems relating to student academic or administrative matters within its responsibilities, and makes recommendations to University Academic Board on opportunities for improvement arising from systemic issues.
University Appeals Committee has delegated responsibility to make final determinations on student appeals.
Refer to Appendix 3 - Schedule of Authorities and Delegations (C127, C128, C129, C165).
- An academic staff member nominated by the Chair of University Academic Board, as Chair
- Director, Student Administration or nominee
- Director, Student Success or nominee
- One member nominated by and from Council
- Two members of academic staff from different faculties, who are members of University Academic Board, nominated by University Academic Board
- One student, nominated by and from QUT Student Guild
- A postgraduate student nominated by the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Graduate Research and Development) following consultation with Executive Deans, who is only a member when the Committee is considering research higher degree student appeals, or appeals from honours or coursework masters students which involve theses or research projects
- A member of academic staff with research supervisory experience nominated by University Academic Board, who is only a member when the Committee is considering research higher degree student appeals, or appeals from honours or coursework masters students where the appeal relates to theses or research projects.
Alternate members may be nominated in each membership category with full membership rights. Alternate members may attend a meeting when the ordinary member is unable to attend a meeting.
The Student Ombudsman attends by invitation, with rights of audience and debate only.
Appeals Committee meets monthly or as required.
Appeals Committee provides feedback to decision-makers on overturned decisions, from a continuous improvement perspective.
Appeals Committee reports to University Academic Board after each meeting.
Appeals Committee provides a summary annual report to University Academic Board on matters within its responsibilities. This report is provided by University Academic Board to Council.
A nominee of the Vice-President (Administration) and University Registrar is secretary.
|22.09.20||All||Director, Governance and Legal Services||Date of Next Review extended to accommodate the committee review and self-assessment process deferred to 2021|
|25.02.19||All||Council||Periodic review - no change in accordance with self-assessment review|
|16.11.18||E/1.2.3||Governance and Legal Sevices||Revised responsibilities to align with revised academic progress policy|
|02.07.18||All||Governance and Legal Sevices||Revised charter to include preparedness for professional experience responsibility|
|23.04.18||All||Council||Terms of reference redrafted to committee charter|
|27.02.17||All||Council||Revised membership in accordance with committee self-assessment review and disestablishment of Student Support Services|
|02.12.15||All||Council||Revised membership to include provision for alternate membership (effective 01.01.16) and consequential change following new policy E/10.6 Revocation of an award|
|03.12.14||All||Council||Revised membership in accordance with committee self-assessment review (effective 01.01.15)|
|07.08.13||All||Council||Revised membership to delete Student Ombudsman and add Director, Student Support Services|
|24.04.13||All||Council||Revised terms of reference and membership provisions|
Revised terms of reference to clarify role Faculty Academic Boards in appeals process
Periodic review - no change required
|25.08.10||All||Council||Policy revised to include terms of reference, in accordance with new policy E/8.1 Management of student discipline|
|24.10.08||All||Governance Services||Renumbered and relocated to E/1.2 (formerly E/1.1.2)|
|12.12.07||All||Council||Revised terms of reference and membership of Appeals Committee (endorsed by University Academic Board 16.11.07)|
|15.06.05||All||Council||Revised membership provisions, in accordance with Final Report on Implementation Plan for 2003/2004 Council Committees Review|
|02.06.04||All||Council||Revised terms of reference and membership provisions, in accordance with recommendations of Council Panel of the 2003/2004 Committees Review|
|11.12.02||All||Council||Revised terms of reference (endorsed by University Academic Board 29.11.02)|
|19.07.01||All||MOPP Officer||Updated to reflect new Committee titles|
|13.12.00||All||Council||New committee established (amalgamation of Academic Appeals Committee and Admission Appeals Committee)|
Vice-Chancellor's Staff/Student Liaison Committee disbanded.