Director, Governance and Performance
Vice-Chancellor and President
Date of Next Review
1.3.6 Meeting frequency
1.3.7 Reporting and communication
Student Misconduct Committee considers allegations of non-academic misconduct by students and determines whether the allegations have been substantiated.
Student Misconduct Committee is a management committee accountable to the Vice-Chancellor and President.
Student Misconduct Committee undertakes the following:
- hears cases of major non-academic misconduct referred to it under Management of student misconduct (E/8.1)
- considers whether an allegation of major non-academic misconduct against a student is substantiated
- makes a recommendation to the Vice-President (Administration) and University Registrar on any penalty/ies to be imposed where there is a determination that misconduct has been substantiated.
Student Misconduct Committee determines whether or not an allegation of student non-academic misconduct is substantiated.
Refer to Register of Authorities and Delegations (C143) (QUT staff access only).
- A Chairperson, with suitable experience and senior academic standing nominated by the Provost and/or Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor. The Chair should be knowledgeable in University policy and procedures and decision-making, and have wide experience in dealing with student issues
- One senior academic staff member nominated by the Provost and/or Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor
- One professional staff member with experience in student administration nominated by the Provost and/or Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor
- Two students nominated by the Student Guild on each occasion upon which Student Misconduct Committee is convened to deal with a matter.
Alternate members may be nominated in each membership category with full membership rights. Alternate members may attend a meeting when the ordinary member is unable to attend a meeting.
The quorum for a meeting is three members.
Nominated members of the Committee serve a term of office of up to two years. The length of a nominated member’s term of office is recommended to the nominator by the Chair, on advice from the Secretariat.
Student Misconduct Committee meets monthly or as required.
Student Misconduct Committee prepares a report for the Vice-President (Administration) and University Registrar of each student case considered at a meeting.
Student Misconduct Committee may provide feedback to a responsible officer regarding any issues identified in reviewing allegations, from a continuous improvement perspective.
Due to the nature of its business, Student Misconduct Committee has a committee operating procedure to assist with its operation and the processes to be followed at meetings. Procedures for the enquiry of the Student Misconduct Committee are provided to a student when an allegation notice is issued.
A nominee of the Vice-President (Administration) and University Registrar is secretary.
|25.05.22||All||Vice-Chancellor and President||Revised charter following management committee self-assessment outcomes|
|22.09.20||All||Director, Governance and Legal Services||Date of Next Review extended to accommodate the committee review and self-assessment process deferred to 2021|
|07.08.19||All||Director, Governance and Legal Services||Periodic review - no changes to charter required|
|06.03.19||E/1.3.5||Vice-Chancellor and President||Membership updated to include the Provost as the nomintor for membership categories (excluding student category)|
|23.01.18||All||Vice-Chancellor||Terms of reference redrafted to committee charter|
|11.09.17||All||Governance and Legal Services||Periodic review - no change in accordance with committee self-assessment review|
|02.12.15||All||Governance and Legal Services||Policy revised following new policy E/10.6 Revocation of an award|
|16.12.14||All||Vice-Chancellor||Policy revised in accordance with committee self-assessment review|
|10.11.13||All||Vice-Chancellor||Policy revised following post-implementation review of E/8.1|
|23.09.11||All||Governance and Legal Services||Policy revised to clarify the Committee's role in making recommendations to the Registrar on penalty|