Director, Governance, Legal and Performance
Date of Next Review
2.1.6 Meeting frequency
2.1.7 Reporting and communication
University Research Committee addresses three broad academic areas - academic governance, strategy and policy relating to research, commercialisation and higher degree research training (including issues of quality).
University Research Committee is an academic committee accountable to University Academic Board.
University Research Committee undertakes the following responsibilities:
Academic Governance, Research Strategy and Policy
- informs the governance, development and implementation of the University's research strategy, training and commercialisation priorities and monitors research performance
- recommends to University Academic Board policies and procedures underpinning the University's research agenda, including commercialisation, research ethics and integrity, research infrastructure, research structures and internationalisation
- provides advice on mechanisms to review and improve research performance and capacity building, especially in relation to early career researchers and mid-career researchers
- provides oversight for the University's Research Budget framework
- promotes and monitors research ethics policy and procedures, including the University's Code of Conduct for Research
- provides recommendations and advice to Finance and Planning Committee regarding research, finance and commercialisation matters
- promotes high quality research and the commercialisation of research outcomes
Higher Degree Research Training and Quality
- recommends to University Academic Board policies and procedures relating to higher degree research training and supervision in the University
- supports, monitors and endorses the activities of its sub-committee (Research Degrees Committee)
- approves curriculum developments and discontinuations for centrally operated higher degree research awards in accordance with policy for curriculum development and approval (C/4.1.3)
- develops, promotes and monitors the University's higher research degree policies and practices
- monitors and advises University Academic Board on national and local quality assurance development in relation to higher degree research training.
University Research Committee has one sub-committee (Research Degrees Committee). University Research Committee may delegate any of its functions, other than those delegated to it by Council, to Research Degrees Committee, particularly matters of an operational nature.
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Vice-President (Research) ex officio as Chair
- Provost ex officio
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research Infrastructure) ex officio
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Sustainability Strategy) ex officio
- Executive Director, Office of Research Services ex officio
- Director, Office of Research Ethics and Integrity ex officio
- Director, Research Policy and Strategy ex officio
- Executive Director, Office of Industry Engagement ex officio
- Chair, Research Degrees Committee ex officio
- Associate Dean, Research from each faculty ex officio
- Two nominees of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Vice-President (Research) who are early career researchers who have an emerging record of excellence in research, relative to opportunity, taking into account discipline balance and equity considerations
- One nominee of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Vice-President (Research) with expertise in scholarly communication, who is able to contribute to strategic thinking and policy development for research within the University
- One nominee of the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Indigenous Strategy) with expertise in Indigenous research, who is able to contribute to strategic thinking and policy development for Indigenous research within the University
- One professor nominated by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Vice-President (Research), with suitable expertise relevant to the business and disciplinary representation of the committee.
Terms of office are as detailed in section 6 of Council Procedure 1 - Committees.
University Research Committee normally meets in the cycle of meetings leading up to Council meetings.
Following each meeting, University Research Committee reports to the next meeting of University Academic Board.
University Research Committee also reports to Finance and Planning Committee in relation to commercialisation issues within that Committee's financial resources oversight.
University Research Committee receives reports and recommendations from Research Degrees Committee on a regular basis.
University Research Committee is established in accordance with Council Procedure 1 - Committees.
A nominee of the Vice-President (Administration) and University Registrar is Secretary.
|19.08.21||All||Council||Revised charter to align the committee’s purpose, responsibilities and delegations with the strategic research agenda|
|29.04.21||All||Council||Revised membership and committee charter; committee renamed from University Research and Innovation Committee|
|22.09.20||All||Director, Governance and Legal Services||Date of Next Review extended to accommodate the committee review and self-assessment process deferred to 2021|
|21.04.20||D/2.1.5||Chair, University Research and Innovation Committee and Governance and Legal Services||Revised membership resulting from qutbluebox Pty Ltd functions transferred to the Office of Industry Engagement|
|23.01.20||All||Governance and Legal Services||Membership revised to remove disestablished unit and membership position - Indigenous Research and Engagement Unit|
|25.02.19||All||Council||Membership revised to reflect organisational changes and in accordance with self-assessment review, and terms of reference redrafted to committee charter|
|09.01.19||All||Director, Governance and Legal Services||Policy revised to include approved position title change from assistant dean/s to associate dean/s|
|20.12.18||All||Governance and Legal Services||Revised membership resulting from changes to position titles/organisational structure, including Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Vice-President (Research and Innovation)|
|30.01.18||All||Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research and Commercialisation)||Revised membership category to reflect position change in the Indigenous Research and Engagement Unit|
|14.06.17||All||Council||Revised terms of reference to include "Faculty Academic Board" roles for centrally-operated non-research awards|
|27.02.17||All||Council||Revised membership in accordance with committee self-assessment review|
|17.08.16||All||Council||Revised membership to include Dean, Indigenous Research and Engagement|
|03.12.14||All||Council||Revised membership in accordance with committee self-assessment review (effective 01.01.15)|
|24.04.13||All||Council||Revised policy to reflect revised membership provisions|
Policy revised to include change to reporting arrangements for institute directors
University Research and Innovation Committee
Periodic review - no change required
|25.06.08||D/2.1||Council||Revised terms of reference and membership provisions (endorsed by University Academic Board 30.05.08)|
|15.06.05||D/2.1||Council||Revised terms of reference and membership provisions, in accordance with Final Report on Implementation Plan for 2003/2004 Council Committees Review|
|02.06.04||D/2.1||Council||Revised terms of reference and membership provisions, in accordance with recommendations of Council Panel of the 2003/2004 Committees Review|
|12.12.01||D/2.1||Council||Revised terms of reference, membership and committee title|
|26.03.99||D/2.1||University Academic Board||Revised membership|
|03.07.98||D/2.1||University Academic Board||New committee (replaces Research Management Committee - effective 1.1.99)|
|27.03.98||D/2.1||University Academic Board||
Amended terms of reference (Research Management Committee)