Associate Director, Human Resources (Workplace Relations)
Vice-Chancellor and President
Date of Next Review
12.2.1 Orientation at QUT
12.2.2 Workplace orientation
12.2.3 QUT online induction
12.2.4 Welcome to QUT orientation seminars
12.2.5 Senior staff individual orientation program
As a multi-campus institution, QUT acknowledges the importance of providing new staff with an opportunity to establish contacts and define relationships within and outside their work environment.
Consistent with its commitment to staff development, QUT promotes the practice of orientating new staff members. Participation in orientation initiatives is based upon the nature of the staff member's appointment with the University.
Orientation mechanisms at QUT include:
- workplace orientation;
- QUT induction (online)
- “Welcome to QUT” orientation seminar
- Senior staff individual orientation program.
Recommended levels of participation in orientation programs are as follows:
- Ongoing and fixed-term academic and professional staff - workplace orientation, QUT online induction and “Welcome to QUT” orientation seminar;
- Sessional academic and casual professional staff - workplace orientation and QUT online induction;
- Senior staff - “Welcome to QUT” orientation seminar and individual orientation program (see B/12.2.5).
Workplace orientation is an on-going process. The staff member's immediate supervisor is responsible for ensuring that a suitable workplace orientation program is developed for each staff member.Detailed workplace orientation guidelines are available from the Human Resources Department web page.
An online Induction program is available from the Human Resources Department web page for new staff members starting at QUT. The program introduces the University and its campuses, the range of benefits and services available, and information on how to access key central services required to start work at the University.
Upon commencement with the University all new staff, other than casual professional and sessional academic staff, are required to attend the “Welcome to QUT” orientation seminar.
These seminars are organised by the Human Resources Department in collaboration with other divisions and aim to facilitate a staff member's integration into QUT by raising awareness of the goals of the University and assisting the staff member to reflect upon their own role in relation to these goals.
The seminars complement workplace orientation programs and the QUT online induction information by providing detailed information about QUT and services available from specialist areas across the University.
A tailored orientation program for new senior staff must be developed by the organisational area, in consultation with the Human Resources Department. It is recommended that the program be designed to include the following:
- workplace orientation;
- QUT online induction;
- meet with key senior staff of the University; and,
- (optional) meet with the HR Organisational Development Coordinator to discuss senior management development program opportunities, the performance planning and review process, and other staff development and human resources policies.
MOPP B/12.1 Staff development
|31.03.01||All||Human Resources Department||Updated|