Director, Governance, Legal and Performance
Vice-Chancellor and President
Date of Next Review
The Indigenous Australian Advisory Committee provides advice to the University on Indigenous policy and strategy and monitors specific Indigenous education, research and employment programs including Indigenous priorities as outlined in Blueprint 6. The Committee also supports the facilitation and development of strategic relationships with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and local groups.
Indigenous Australian Advisory Committee is a management committee accountable to the Vice-Chancellor and President for fulfilling its responsibilities.
- Provides advice, through the Vice-Chancellor and President, the Provost, the Executive Director, Carumba Institute, the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Indigenous Strategy), the Director, Oodgeroo Unit, or through committees including University Learning and Teaching Committee, University Research and Innovation Committee, and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Staff Committee on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander engagement, success and empowerment across the University including:
- embedding Indigenous Australian’s Knowledge’s and perspectives in curriculum
- recruitment, retention and completion of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students
- recruitment, retention and support of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff
- Indigenous research and engagement involving government, university and industry impacting on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- relevant public and higher education policy matters before the University; and
- any other matter affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples at QUT.
- Makes recommendations to the Vice-Chancellor and President on Indigenous Australian related polices and strategies, including but not limited to:
- Provides recommendations relating to the implementation of the National Indigenous Higher Education Workforce Strategy and Universities Australia Indigenous Strategy.
- Provides recommendations to senior executives holding specific portfolio responsibilities.
Monitoring and review
- Monitors and reports on the implementation of the QUT Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Action Plan and policy.
- Monitors implementation of QUT's Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander strategies.
- Reviews, monitors and recommends to the Vice-Chancellor and President on the distribution of the Indigenous Students Success Program in Higher Education (ISSP) funding to QUT's Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander student support areas including but not limited to the Oodgeroo Unit, the Carumba Institute and Equity and Student Counselling.
Supports the facilitation and development of strategic relationships with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and local groups.
In progressing the Committee’s purpose, the committee will establish, as necessary, sub-committees and/or working groups for the purpose of providing specialist advice on any Indigenous Australia matter relevant to the committee.
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Indigenous Strategy) as Chair ex officio
- Vice-Chancellor and President ex officio
- Provost or nominee
- Vice-President (Administration) and University Registrar or nominee
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Vice-President (Education) ex officio
- Executive Director, Carumba Institute ex officio
- One dean, nominated by the Vice-Chancellor and President
- Director, Oodgeroo Unit ex officio
- Elder-in-Residence ex officio
- Two representatives from Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community organisations nominated by the Vice-Chancellor and President in consultation with the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Indigenous Strategy)
- One Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander student nominated by the Vice-Chancellor and President
- Two Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander staff members of the University, nominated by the Vice-Chancellor and President
The Committee meets at least five times a year.
The Committee reports to Council annually on the University's performance against the QUT Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Action Plan.
The Deputy Chair of the Committee shall be an Indigenous Australian and will be elected by the committee. The Committee manages its business in accordance with Council Procedure 1 - Committees with the exception to permit ‘in camera’ sessions.
From time to time, the Committee may hold ‘in camera’ sessions on sensitive or specific cultural issues. In these instances, non-Indigenous members of the committee shall not participate or leave the meeting as appropriate. These items are to be highlighted on the agenda prior to the meeting. For resolutions arising from ‘in camera’ sessions to be valid, a quorum of at least one-half of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander members must be present. At the end of the session, the Chair will advise the Secretary of any resolutions or proceedings that need to be recorded in the minutes.
A nominee of the Vice-President (Administration) and University Registrar is secretary.
|12.02.2021||A/8.2.4||Vice-Chancellor and President||Revised memebrship - Provost category changed from ex officio to or nominee|
|22.09.20||All||Director, Governance and Legal Services||Date of Next Review extended to accommodate the committee review and self-assessment process deferred to 2021|
|10.01.20||All||Vice-Chancellor and President||Revised charter and membership provisions to align with QUT Blueprint Indigenous focus and the establishment of the Carumba Institute, committee formerly Indigenous Education, Research and Employment Committee|
|31.03.18||All||Vice-Chancellor||Revised membership provisions to include Professor, Indigenous Research|
|30.01.18||A/8.2.4||Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research and Commercialisation)||Revised membership category to reflect position change in the Indigenous Research and Engagement Unit|
|28.09.17||All||Vice-Chancellor||New committee charter with committee name change to reflect core areas of responsibility and revised terms of reference and membership|
|19.08.16||All||Vice-Chancellor||Revised terms of reference to include recommendations on the distribution of Indigenous Students Success Program (ISSP)|
|20.06.16||All||Vice-Chancellor||Revised membership category to reflect name change to position title, Indigenous Studies Research Network renamed to Indigenous Research and Engagement|
|06.01.16||All||Vice-Chancellor||Revised terms of reference and membership|
|30.03.15||All||Governance and Legal Services||Periodic review - no change in accordance with committee self-assessment review|
Director, Governance and Legal Services
|Revised policy - minor editorial change only|