Director, Governance and Legal Services
Date of Next Review
Investments and Borrowings Committee addresses two broad areas of financial governance:
- oversight of the University’s investments strategy, and
- provision of advice to support decisions in relation to financing specific major initiatives and projects.
Investments and Borrowings Committee is a governance committee accountable to Finance and Planning Committee.
Investments and Borrowings Committee undertakes the following responsibilities:
- reviews and makes recommendation to Finance and Planning Committee on the University investment strategy
- makes recommendations to Finance and Planning Committee on the selection of fund managers and advisers, taking account of projected performance, risk and asset class
- reviews annually the performance of investments and the performance of fund managers against anticipated returns and relevant benchmarks
- monitors the associated risks on those investments and the action being taken to manage those risks
- reviews investment earnings and makes recommendations on the use of those funds
- recommends policy to Finance and Planning Committee for socially responsible investment and monitors performance.
- reviews proposals from time to time for major infrastructure initiatives and considers recommendations on financing options (including both internal or external financing)
- recommends to Finance and Planning Committee a preferred financing strategy for those major initiatives and projects that the Committee reviews
- authorises the Chief Financial Officer or the Executive Director, Finance Resource Management, to undertake matters of an operational nature relevant to the business of the Committee. The Finance Business Solutions Division reports and makes recommendations on a regular basis to Investments and Borrowings Committee.
- Chair, Finance and Planning Committee as Chair
- Chair, Risk and Audit Committee
- At least two external persons with financial management and/or investment expertise nominated from or by QUT Council
- Chief Financial Officer ex officio
- Executive Director, Finance Resource Management ex officio
- One principal or senior officer of the University, other than from the Finance Business Solutions Division, nominated by the Vice-Chancellor and President
Investments and Borrowings Committee normally meets three times per year in the cycle of meetings leading up to every second Finance and Planning Committee meeting, with the first meeting each year to consider investment performance.
Following each meeting, Investments and Borrowings Committee reports to the next meeting of Finance and Planning Committee.
Investments and Borrowings Committee is established in accordance with Council Procedure 1 - Committees.
A nominee of the Vice-President (Administration) and University Registrar is secretary, on recommendation of the Chief Financial Officer.
|25.11.19||G/3.5.4||Council||Revised membership provisions following Council Committees review – effective 01.01.20|
|17.04.19||G/3.5.4||Council||Revised membership provisions to include a principal or senior officer nominated by the Vice-Chancellor and President|
|25.02.19||All||Council||Membership revised to reflect organisational changes and in accordance with self-assessment review, and terms of reference redrafted to committee charter|
|10.07.18||All||Vice-Chancellor and President||Revised policy to include department name change from Corporate Finance to Finance Resource Management|
|27.02.17||All||Council||Periodic review - no change in accordance with committee self-assessment review|
Established new committee (Investments and Borrowings Committee)