Director, Governance and Legal Services
Vice-Chancellor and President
Date of Next Review
2.2.7 Meeting frequency
2.2.8 Reporting and communication
Student Research Misconduct Committee considers allegations that higher degree research students have breached the required standards of academic and research integrity set out in the Academic integrity (C/5.3) or the QUT Code for responsible conduct of research (D/2.6) policies, and determines whether the allegations have been substantiated.
Student Research Misconduct Committee is an academic committee accountable to University Research and Innovation Committee (D/2.1).
Student Research Misconduct Committee undertakes the following:
- hears cases of major research student misconduct referred to it under Management of student misconduct (E/8.1)
- considers whether an allegation of major research student misconduct against a student is substantiated
- makes a recommendation to the Vice-President (Administration) and University Registrar on any penalty/ies to be imposed where there is a determination that misconduct has been substantiated.
Student Research Misconduct Committee determines whether or not an allegation of research student misconduct is substantiated.
Refer to Appendix 3 - Schedule of Authorities and Delegations (C144).
- A Chairperson, with senior academic standing nominated by the Vice-Chancellor and President. The Chair should be an experienced researcher and have expertise in research training and administration
- One senior academic staff member nominated by the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Graduate Research and Development) on each occasion on which the Student Research Misconduct Committee is convened to deal with a matter. The academic staff member should have significant expertise in research in a cognate discipline to the allegations under consideration
- One research higher degree student nominated by the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Graduate Research and Development)
Alternate members may be nominated in the chairperson and student categories with full membership rights. Alternate members may attend a meeting when the ordinary member is unable to attend a meeting.
The quorum for a meeting is three members.
The Director, Office of Research Ethics and Integrity, or nominee, may attend meetings of Student Research Misconduct Committee with rights of audience and debate, to provide advice on research integrity and responsible research practice matters.
Student Research Misconduct Committee is convened and meets as necessary when allegations of major misconduct arise.
Student Research Misconduct Committee prepares a report for the Registrar of each student case considered at a meeting.
Student Research Misconduct Committee may provide feedback to a responsible officer regarding any issues identified in reviewing allegations, from a continuous improvement perspective.
Due to the nature of its business, Student Research Misconduct Committee has a Committee Operating Procedure to assist with its operation and the processes to be followed at meetings. The procedure is provided to a student when an allegation notice is issued.
A nominee of the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Graduate Research and Development) is secretary.
|27.07.18||All||Vice-Chancellor and President||Terms of reference redrafted to new committee charter|
|02.12.15||All||Governance and Legal Services||Terms of reference revised to include new policy E/10.6 Revocation of an award|
|17.02.14||All||Vice-Chancellor||Terms of reference revised following post-implementation review of E/8.1|
|23.09.11||All||Governance and Legal Services||Terms of reference revised to clarify the Committee's role in making recommendations to the Registrar on penalty|
Established new committee