Director, Governance and Legal Services
Date of Next Review
2.1.6 Meeting frequency
2.1.7 Reporting and communication
University Research and Innovation Committee addresses three broad academic areas - academic policy relating to research and innovation (including research ethics), commercialisation and research higher degree training (including issues of quality).
University Research and Innovation Committee is an academic committee accountable to University Academic Board.
University Research and Innovation Committee undertakes the following responsibilities:
Research and Innovation
- recommends to University Academic Board policy and procedures on research and innovation
- advises University Academic Board on the research and innovation components of the institutional plans
- advises University Academic Board on trends, developments and opportunities in research and recommends changes to reflect best practices in research strategy and governance
- promotes high quality and high impact innovative research within the University through policy development, strategic guidance of research activity across the University and oversight of the framework for the University's Research Budget
- initiates development of and maintains oversight of research structures, such as institutes and centres
- develops, promotes and monitors research ethics policy and procedures, including the University's Code of Conduct for Research
- develops, promotes and monitors the University's international research policy.
- contributes to, promotes and monitors the University's commercialisation policies and practices, including reporting to Planning and Resources Committee on relevant commercialisation matters
- advises Planning and Resources Committee of trends and development in research and innovation and recommends changes to reflect best commercial practice
- promotes high quality research and the commercialisation of research outcomes within the University through policy development.
Research Higher Degree Training
- recommends to University Academic Board policies and procedures relating to research higher degree supervision, training and research in the University
- approves curriculum developments and discontinuations for centrally operated research awards in accordance with policy for curriculum development and approval (C/4.1.3)
- develops, promotes and monitors the University's research higher degree policies and practices
- advises University Academic Board on trends and developments in research higher degree training and supervision and recommends to University Academic Board changes to reflect best practice in meeting the needs of industry
- monitors and advises University Academic Board on national and local quality assurance development in relation to research higher degree training.
University Research and Innovation Committee has one sub-committee (Research Degrees Committee) and one standing working party (Associate Deans (Research) / Institute Directors Working Party). University Research and Innovation Committee may delegate any of its functions, other than those delegated to it by Council, to Research Degrees Committee or the Associate Deans (Research) / Institute Directors Working Party, particularly matters of an operational nature.
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Vice-President (Research and Innovation) ex officio as Chair
- Provost ex officio
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Vice-President (International) ex officio
- Vice-President (Business Development) ex officio
- Executive Directors of QUT Institutes ex officio
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Graduate Research and Development) ex officio
- Executive Director, Office of Research Services ex officio
- Director, Office of Research Ethics and Integrity ex officio
- Director, Indigenous Research and Engagement Unit ex officio
- Chief Executive Officer, qutbluebox Pty Ltd ex officio
- eResearch Director ex officio
- One nominee of Council – either an external member of Council with research , commercialisation or innovation experience outside of the University , or an external nominee from outside the University with such experience
- One nominee of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Vice-President (Research and Innovation) from early career researchers with an emerging record of excellence in research, taking into account discipline balance and equity considerations
- One nominee of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Vice-President (Research and Innovation) with expertise in information technology and libraries able to contribute to strategic thinking and policy development for research within the University
- Associate Dean (Research) from each faculty ex officio
- A chair of one of the three QUT ethics committees, with representation on a rotational basis of each committee term, alternating between the three committees.
Terms of office are as detailed in section 6 of Council Procedure 1 - Committees.
University Research and Innovation Committee normally meets in the cycle of meetings leading up to Council meetings.
Following each meeting, University Research and Innovation Committee reports to the next meeting of University Academic Board.
University Research and Innovation Committee also reports to Planning and Resources Committee in relation to commercialisation issues within that Committee's financial resources oversight.
Research Degrees Committee and the Associate Deans (Research) / Institute Directors Working Party report and make recommendations on a regular basis to University Research and Innovation Committee.
University Research and Innovation Committee is established in accordance with Council Procedure 1 - Committees.
A nominee of the Vice-President (Administration) and Registrar is Secretary.
|25.02.19||All||Council||Membership revised to reflect organisational changes and in accordance with self-assessment review, and terms of reference redrafted to committee charter|
|09.01.19||All||Director, Governance and Legal Services||Policy revised to include approved position title change from assistant dean/s to associate dean/s|
|20.12.18||All||Governance and Legal Services||Revised membership resulting from changes to position titles/organisational structure, including Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Vice-President (Research and Innovation)|
|30.01.18||All||Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research and Commercialisation)||Revised membership category to reflect position change in the Indigenous Research and Engagement Unit|
|14.06.17||All||Council||Revised terms of reference to include "Faculty Academic Board" roles for centrally-operated non-research awards|
|27.02.17||All||Council||Revised membership in accordance with committee self-assessment review|
|17.08.16||All||Council||Revised membership to include Dean, Indigenous Research and Engagement|
|03.12.14||All||Council||Revised membership in accordance with committee self-assessment review (effective 01.01.15)|
|24.04.13||All||Council||Revised policy to reflect revised membership provisions|
Policy revised to include change to reporting arrangements for institute directors
University Research and Innovation Committee
Periodic review - no change required
|25.06.08||D/2.1||Council||Revised terms of reference and membership provisions (endorsed by University Academic Board 30.05.08)|
|15.06.05||D/2.1||Council||Revised terms of reference and membership provisions, in accordance with Final Report on Implementation Plan for 2003/2004 Council Committees Review|
|02.06.04||D/2.1||Council||Revised terms of reference and membership provisions, in accordance with recommendations of Council Panel of the 2003/2004 Committees Review|
|12.12.01||D/2.1||Council||Revised terms of reference, membership and committee title|
|26.03.99||D/2.1||University Academic Board||Revised membership|
|03.07.98||D/2.1||University Academic Board||New committee (replaces Research Management Committee - effective 1.1.99)|
|27.03.98||D/2.1||University Academic Board||Amended terms of reference (Research Management Committee)|