Executive Director, Health, Safety and Environment
Vice-Chancellor and President
Date of Next Review
9.9.6 Meeting frequency
9.9.7 Reporting and communication
University Health, Safety and Environment Committee provides advice and recommends to the Vice-Chancellor and President on health, safety and environment strategic priorities, consistent with the University's vision and values on health, safety and the protection of the environment.
University Health, Safety and Environment Committee is a management committee accountable to the Vice-Chancellor and President.
University Health, Safety and Environment Committee undertakes the following responsibilities:
- monitors and reviews the implementation of health, safety and environment strategies across the University, and makes recommendations on the management of health, safety and environment activities and risks through the adoption of a coordinated and systematic approach
- implements the integrated Health, Safety and Environment Management System ensuring an environmental focus facilitates information sharing across the University about health, safety and environment initiatives, practices and risks
- makes recommendations to the Vice-Chancellor and President on policies, procedures and programs to improve health, safety and environmental protection culture, leadership and management across the University.
- Vice-President (Administration) and University Registrar ex officio as Chair
- Executive Director, Health, Safety and Environment ex officio
- At least one external person with leadership experience in organisations with strong health and safety culture and practices nominated by University Health, Safety and Environment Committee
- Two Executive Deans nominated by University Executive Committee
- Chair of a local health and safety committee nominated by University Executive Committee
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Learning and Teaching) or nominee
- Vice-President (Resources) and Chief Financial Officer or nominee
- Director, Assurance and Risk Management Services or nominee
- Chair, University Biosafety Committee ex officio
- Research & Technical Manager, Health, Safety and Environment ex officio
- One senior leader from a research institute, nominated by University Executive Committee
- One enrolled student nominated by the QUT Student Guild
The committee will from time to time invite expert advisors to attend and speak on matters within their area of expertise and can co-opt members in line with Council Procedure 1 - Committees. The Vice-Chancellor and President will attend at least one meeting per year to discuss strategic health, safety and environment priorities for the University and other health, safety and environment issues of strategic importance.
University Health, Safety and Environment Committee meets at least five times per year or as required.
University Health, Safety and Environment Committee reports to:
- the Vice-Chancellor and President annually
- University Executive Committee, through the Chair and Audit and Risk Management Committee following each meeting
- local health, safety and environment committees within faculties, institutes and divisions as required.
University Health, Safety and Environment Committee operates in accordance with Council Procedure 1 - Committees.
A nominee of the Vice-President (Administration) and University Registrar is secretary, on recommendation of the Executive Director, Health, Safety and Environment.
|18.10.17||All||Vice-Chancellor||Terms of reference redrafted to committee charter|
|11.04.17||All||Director, Health, Safety and Environment||Revised membership following position changes - Associate Director, Health Safety and Environment and Senior Chemical Management Coordinator|
|21.05.15||All||Vice-Chancellor||Revised terms of reference to include environmental focus|
|11.04.14||All||Vice-Chancellor||Revised terms of reference and membership following corporate review of workplace health and safety and 2013 committee self-assessment|
|30.11.12||All||Vice-Chancellor||Revised membership to include the University Biosafety Officer|
Established new committee